Monday, July 8

Read it Again! The Cambridgeshire Children's Picture Book Awards 2013...


Earlier this year my picture book The Monster Machine, published by Pavilion Children's Books was shortlisted for an award! and on the 4th of July I had the pleasure of taking part in the 2013 Read it Again! Cambridge Children's picture book awards. Myself and beaky monster travelled down from Nottingham to the beautiful town of St Ives (there is one in Cambridgeshire too) it was a huge honour to be shortlisted, and we had a fantastic day meeting lots of excited children from 14 different schools.

A huge congratulations to Jenni Desmond who won the award with her beautiful picture book Red Cat Blue Cat!
Proud Beaky Monster with his runner-up trophy!

It was fantastic getting to speak to so many children who had read the books and hear their thoughts and comments, one little girl came to tell me that her dad is an inventor too! which is very exciting, I wonder if he might make a monster machine someday?

I couldn't feel my hand at all by the end of the day with all the drawing and signing! but a lot of fun was had by all. Haha.

Now, there was clearly a lot of love for Monster Machine, which was really nice to hear, including a number of very intense children who came over to tell me that they had voted for the monsters! haha :) It was fantastic to be presented with a runner up trophy and certificate, I've never had a trophy before, so it's going up on the book case! 

I would love to thank all the children who took part in the Read It Again scheme, I hope it has inspired some serious new readers and hopefully some future authors and illustrators too!
Also a huge thank you to everyone involved in putting together Read it Again! and for all the hard work that goes into promoting the award and taking the books around all the schools and libraries, I spoke to  number of librarians on the day and the pure love of children's books and enthusiasm for getting children reading was overwhelming. 

Keep up the excellent work!
 
Brilliant Monster Machine artwork from Erin, Year 5 at Barton C of E School

The monster name badge I got to wear on the day!
Read it Again! on the Cambridgeshire libraries website

3 comments:

  1. Hi I am a teacher in Cambridgeshire and we took part in the reading for the awards and I blogged about it here http://dottyclassroom.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/cambridgeshire-libraries-picture-book.html.

    My class and I really loved your book and I will be definitely keeping an eye out for more by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Thanks, really pleased you and your school enjoyed taking part in the Read It Again! awards (and to hear they enjoyed The Monster Machine too :) )

      All the very best,

      Nicola

      Delete